Naples , Christoupoli Kavala : The history of the city and the region reaches , according to the findings , in prehistoric times . The initial core of the district is the Virgin inhabited almost uninterruptedly since the 7th century. In the small , fortified peninsula , the city was closed for 2500 years . In the early 16th century expanded outside of it keeping the same levels until 1870 . Since 1928 began to take its present form .
The strategic and economic importance of the Over the centuries owes mainly in place -it was station on Sea streets region- , Egnatia street passing by here connecting the East with the West , its harbor and the natural fortifications of the peninsula was built where the old town .
Kavala exudes an aura particular due to the recent past : neoclassical buildings leftover and large warehouses keep the memory of a prosperous bourgeois and the bourgeoisie . In bygone “Mecca of smoke “ as it was called Kavala worked thousands -antres tobacco workers and women- forms which seem to live forever in black and white photos of the city tobacco museum . Characteristic is also the port with palm trees and old blocks where modern buildings coexist , the fish restaurants and boats fishermen.
The focus of everyday life in Kavala is the Liberty Square. The most busy point is the pedestrian Alexander , with its many shops, café- bar and tobacco warehouse that became the mall , like the commercial Omonia Street . Near the square Freedom is the old neighborhood of Agios Nikolaos. There you will see the church of St. Nicholas, who was old mosque . Externally there is mosaic and back of a monument residue from column base : According to tradition up there imprint of the first press of the Apostle Paul in Macedonia .
7 Major buildings
–Mansion Interest ( 1879 ) . Residence of kapnokopti Rep. Interest , which housed the consulate Italy between 1879-1880 . It has the morphological patterns of Ottoman neoclassicism and baroque, but maintains and elements of local tradition. In 1979 it was bought by the Ministry of Culture , restored and housed the 12th Byzantine Antiquities .
–The old Girls ( 1891-1894 ) . With simple neoclassical features now houses the 10th Primary School .
–Great Club ( 1910 ) . Wonderful example of neoclassical architecture , with neo-baroque elements . Since 1985 works as Municipal Library and multi- event venue .
–The Town Hall (1890 ) , home of Hungarian tobacco trader Pierre Herzog.
-The building until 1921 , when it was sold , hosted a brilliant cosmic events and in 1937 was purchased by the Municipality of Kavala to house the Town Hall.
–Mansion Wix (1898-1900) residence until 1925 the German , Jewish , Baron Adolf Wix von Zsolna, consular agent of afstrooungrogermanikou and vice- Representative for years of financial interests Herzog. Since 1989 houses the Technical Services of the Municipality.
-Catholic Mission ( 1888-1892 ) , the building of the Monastery of Lazaristes , which later housed the French consulate and school learning French.
–The Municipal Tobacco Warehouse ( around 1900 ) . Neoclassicism combines Ottoman and Baroque , with many details sculptures and reliefs .